Pages

Friday 16 September 2011

WELCOMING THE WORLD

Most of the world stood still for one event. What could it be?
A sport? A race?

It was Friday, 9 September. My family was anxiously waiting for the start of Rugby World Cup 2011. We were eating dinner when I heard the TV One reporter saying “It’s going to be a spectacular opening ceremony.” I rushed to see if it was starting.
Then I saw a stadium filled with excited and anxious people. When the stadium lights were fading away there was a feeling of intensity. I could see flashes of the cameras and heard cheers echoing in the stadium. Then an oval shape in the middle of the rugby field was brightly lit up. A lady started to sing a Maori song and started to walk on top of the oval shaped screen. But what type was it? I distinctly remembered that I had seen it before. Then it struck me that it was a projector screen! I heard the TV One reporter say, “This is the biggest laser show ever brought to New Zealand.” As the ceremony continued the cheers of the crowd escalated. I was baffled about how many people had come to watch the start of the fabulous Rugby World Cup 2011. As we got to the end of the ceremony I was thinking “How are they going to end it?” because I knew that the mayor, Lenn Brown had officially opened the tournament. Then what happened next blew me AWAY. It was a fireworks extravaganza!

Watching the Rugby World Cup from home was different from watching it in the stadium but the feeling of excitement was still the same.

2 comments:

Room5 said...

What an incredible recount Mei Ethan, from beginning to end. Your choice of adjectives made your sentences very interesting. Keep up the fantastic writing!!

Anonymous said...

a love it little one.

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.